This policy covers all information that Terra Nova Foundation may collect about you as an identifiable individual, including how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information. It applies to the use of all pages within our website and to personal information that Terra Nova Foundation may collect through other means. It does not apply to pages hosted by or information collected by other organisations that we might work with, whose websites we may link to and whose privacy policies may differ.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
The Terra Nova Foundation (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
Changes to this policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto our website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, or your authorised representative when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration, application or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), transactional activity (e.g. donations) or when you buy or use our services and products
- third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
We may use this information to process transactions; to respond to inquiries from you or your representative and to develop, offer, and deliver new programs and services. The Terra Nova Foundation takes care to protect your personal information and when we use it, we do so with respect for your privacy.
How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information:
- to verify your identity
- to provide services and products to you
- to market our services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- to improve the services and products that we provide to you
- to collect donations from you, including authorising and processing credit card transactions
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
Disclosing your personal information
We will never sell or rent your personal information to any other person or entity.
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our trustees and staff in providing our services to you
- any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- any other person authorised by you.
Note, a business that supports our services and products may be located outside New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand.
Protecting your personal information
We will take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note your requested correction on your personal information.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at [email protected]. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take all reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
You may disable cookies by changing the settings on your browser, although this may mean that you cannot use all of the features of the website.
If you’d like to get in contact regarding this policy please email us at [email protected]